Intermediate Java Developer
Strata Health Solutions is actively seeking experienced Java software developers to contribute to our growing library of patient flow software. Successful candidates will work closely with several groups within our team to gather and present requirements, understand problems and implement solutions that build upon and improve our patient flow applications.
The ideal candidate will:
- Thrive in a fast-paced, challenging environments
- Be superb at problem-solving and finding optimal / elegant solutions
- Learn quickly – software, techniques, dynamics
- Be driven to continuously improve systems and processes
- Be detail-oriented, but able to implement solutions in a timely manner
- Find motivation in exceeding expectations
- Enjoy working in teams (pair programming and collaborative design), as well as independently
- Listen thoroughly and share ideas respectfully and collaboratively
A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or a related discipline (or equivalent experience)
4+ years of experience developing Java web applications within the workplace
1+ years of experience with RDBMS such as Oracle
Experience with Java EE (JSF, JPA, and JAX-RS) and Spring
Experience developing within an IDE such as Intellij
Solid understanding of OO principles
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Superb problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Experienced with Agile development and continuous improvement.
- Eager to participate in pair programming and collaborative design.
- Proponent of quality development methodology, patterns and best practices
- Demonstrates initiative to identify potential challenges, issues and areas for improvement
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English are a must; we focus on team collaboration, group design and pair programming.
- Certification (or desire to obtain certification) in Java development or Oracle DBMS
- Experience with servlet containers such as Apache Tomcat
- Working knowledge of HealthCare concepts or integration standards:
- HL7, XML/SOAP Web Services, HIE Standards, REST
- The ability to communicate in French would be a major asset
- Proficient with MacOS X and terminal / command line
- A solid understanding of REST
Areas of Accountability
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle (requirements, design, code, unit test, implementation and maintenance)
- Conduct investigations of application issues to determine solution and estimates time to resolution
- Responds to requests from your Team Lead to address customer needs for maintaining and improving existing or new software
- Generate and document testing plans and strategies. Create and maintain written test cases
- Provide solutions and/or recommendations to design and deploy new functionality or resolve technical issues related to developed systems
- Participate in site visits and usability testing to gain first-hand understanding of the impacts SHS software has on daily healthcare workflow
- Participate as an active member of the development team to collaborate effectively with others to address issues, solve problems, and foster a high performing workplace.
- Participate in the Quality Assurance process through functional and regression testing as required
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- A flexible health and wellness budget for your health related activities
- Young, fun, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable colleagues
Calgary location extras
- Friday team lunch
- Weekly fruit and snack stack ups
- Running sessions at lunch time. Get engaged and fit!
- In-house foosball table to hone your skills – challenge the best and try to conquer your way up the ranks
- Located at the heart of 17th Ave
- Free on-street parking
- Proud member of the Calgary Corporate Challenge
Operational in Canada and the UK, Strata Health Solutions is a privately-held Canadian corporation of professionals delivering patient flow applications directly benefiting patients, their families and the world’s devoted front line caregivers. For more information on our company, please visit our careers section.
We pride ourselves on being an outstanding place to work, where all ideas are given merit, and individuals have the ability to push themselves, our team and our products to the next level. Strata Health Solutions has an excellent set of perks for staff, including but not limited to generous vacation time, a health and wellness allowance (e.g.. spend on a mountain bike or snowboard), health and dental benefits, training allowance, and a MacBook Pro! (for work and personal use, not a hiring bonus.)
Please note that this position is only available to candidates who are currently in (or willing to relocate to) Calgary. All candidates must be currently eligible to work in Canada and willing to live in Calgary.
Strata Health is an equal opportunity employer and while we thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.